Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Love with the Proper Pasta

I love pasta. My friend Kumiko would eat Italian food seven nights a week if it were allowed, and I wouldn’t be far behind. Were it not for a spectre of the Michelin Man hovering over my shoulder, I’d gobble a side dish of pasta every night.


Well, I met a plate of pasta last Saturday that could be my dinner date any night. At a local potluck lunch, there wedged between the potato salad and a pot of Sanka was this dreamy bowl of pasta and vegetables, and beautiful colors. A pasta salad. Being the Italian food-aholic that I am, I sidestepped the chocolate cake, slipped around the hot dogs and fell in love with a bowl of pasta.


It would be selfish not to share this recipe.


COLORFUL PASTA SALAD


What you will need:

1 box of tricolor rotini pasta

2 cups of broccoli florets

2 cups of cauliflower florets

½ of a large green pepper, sliced

½ of a large yellow pepper, sliced

(red pepper too, if you like)

1 small summer squash

1 small zucchini

1 large tomato, chopped

¼ cup of sliced green olives with pimento

¼ cup of halved Greek calamata olives

4-5 leaves of red leaf lettuce for garnish

a few sprigs of parsley for additional garnish


Dressing:

Olive oil, fresh lemon juice, 1 teaspoon of chipotle sauce, salt and pepper.


The how-to on this one is uncomplicated. Cook the pasta, drain, then toss it in 2 tablespoons of olive oil and refrigerate. Steam the broccoli-cauliflower, the squash and the zucchini for 4 minutes. Let it all cool and mix it together with the pasta and other ingredients.


I’m nuts about this one, though it’s a pretty ordinary salad except for one thing—the teaspoon of

chipotle sauce.


Go figure; pasta and Tex-Mex.


Was hoping to add two additional photos to this post, but apparently Blogger doesn’t like pasta.

1 comment:

  1. Regardless of the fact that you say blogger doesn't like pasta.....I dare say there is no one who doesn't like some kind of pasta. This recipe sounds delicious and I have frequently made this myself and taken to potluck dinners or salad luncheons. It's a great dish to include all of your daily requirement of vegetables and if you want some protein just add some grilled chicken and some wedges of cheese. Ummmmmm good!!! Thanks for sharing this

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
Oak Hill, Florida, United States
A longtime expat relearning the footwork of life in America