Sunday, July 17, 2011

DVP-Lemon500H

Next to Apple, no other brand name has had my loyalty as long or as completely as Sony. I have done my share of supporting Sony products because they’ve proven their quality again and again. Great track record and always a good experience. It’s disappointing to find there is a chink in Sony’s armor.


A couple of months back I bought a new television and figured it was a good time to upgrade the old DVD player as well. Ignoring the hype that comes on every DVD these days, Blu-ray wasn’t what I had in mind for a couple of reasons. The salesman recommended a Sony player, the Upscaling Player DVP-SR500H, explaining it was good for boosting picture quality. Good price, slim, lightweight, so I bought it.


The paperwork that comes in the box describes the player’s features this way: See movies with 1080p upscaling; upgrades DVDs to near high definition for improved picture quality. Features Precision Cinema Progressive™ technology for sharper and more vibrant images, as well as the Precision Drive™ 3 system allowing playback of damaged or warped DVDs without any degradation of picture quality. In addition to watching movies the DVP-SR500H can play CDs, MP3s and also view digital photographs. Sounds pretty good, right?


Hard to comment on what all that means in terms of performance, and for all I know it may be the bug in the works. After a month of use the DVP-SR500H began freezing in the middle of playing movies. It started small, then gradually reached a point where nothing could prompt the machine to resume play. So, I boxed it up with the receipt and took it back to the store. No problem there and they gladly exchanged it for a new one—same Sony model.


Unfortunately, relief was short term. Within three weeks the NEW Sony DVP-SR500H was doing the same thing. A quarter of the way into a movie everything stopped for a minute or two and then resumed. A few days later the freeze time was longer, and a month after the exchange it was useless.


And once again the store happily exchanged the DVD player. Could I trade it for another model, either one made by Sony or another manufacturer? Nope, but I was welcome to buy a different DVD player at full cost if I wanted. Not liking the sound of that I brought home my third DVP-SR500H hoping for the best. It's hooked up now but hasn’t yet had a trial run. Can’t say I have high hopes. I’m of a mind now that Sony should rename this model, maybe something along the lines of DVP-Lemon500H.

1 comment:

  1. Suggest you send a copy of this blog to Customer Service at Sony. As the Jewish folks say about chicken soap and everything else, Couldn't hurt. Although I agree about Sony and Apple as a rule, I think the race to keep up with other companies in the "new and improved" latest technology sometimes leaves quality in the dust.

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
Oak Hill, Florida, United States
A longtime expat relearning the footwork of life in America